● We respect you and your data.
● We will not collect or share your data without your permission - period.
Data Collection and Sharing
We collect data you give us (name, email, home address, etc.) and data from your device (computer “IP” address, hardware, etc.).
● We’ve created privacy controls to help you manage your data with us.
● You can decide what data you’d like to share and when you’d like to access, correct, delete or move your data.
The Upson Beacon PRIVACY VALUES
• Privacy is a fundamental right. Data represents people who deserve privacy, respect, autonomy, and fairness.
• Personal data should be protected to the highest standards of privacy and security.
• Individuals should have control over personal data that is viewed, collected, shared or used.
• Individuals can easily and persistently see and control their data that is viewed, collected, shared or used..
• Personal data viewed, shared or used should be limited.
• Individuals can easily access, understand and use data controls in multiple languages and audio or video formats. 08 Individuals can access, delete, move, and correct their data held by any entity.
● This is data about other data.
● For example, metadata for a photo might be when it was taken or file size.
● Aggregate means compiling different types of data into a group.
● Aggregate metadata about a you may be used to display relevant content or ads.
● Where something is located in the world, usually via an internet device.
● Data can be derived through GPS, cell networks or your IP address and gives us an idea of where your device is located to target content or ads (with your permission) and to combat fraud. 2-step (two-factor) verification
● Helps us identify you when you log by using two forms of authentication (e.g., sending a code to your phone or email).
● Small text files that send a message from a web browser to a web server.
● Used to identify you, store your login or send you personalized content or ads.
DATA WE COLLECT AND WHY There are two basic ways we get data about you:
Directly from you Indirectly from you
- Personal data you share (e.g., email or address) when you voluntarily sign up for a newsletter, subscription or other service.
- If you give us permission, we use this information to personalize your content and advertising, send you offers or fulfill a service.
● Data we collect from your device (e.g. type of device or IP address).
- This data helps us display content correctly on all your devices and protects you from malware and fraudulent advertising.
TYPE OF DATA WE COLLECT
- To access our content or services, you may need to register and provide personal data to set up an account (e.g., name, email).
● You can update, change or cancel your account at any time. All purchases are non-refundable.
- If you register as “anonymous” you only need to provide your zip code however, you may not be able to access some of our content.
Your Email Address
- We will only use your email address to communicate services you’ve requested (e.g., newsletters) or information about your account.
- It will also be used if you enable 2-step verification and provide a password recovery email.
- We collect data about your location (e.g., zip code) when you visit our site to deliver you relevant local news content.
- We don’t collect precise geolocation data (your location at any given time).
- We don’t knowingly collect or solicit information from anyone under the age of 18 or allow them to register for an account.
- Cookies are small text files placed on your browser that may identify you, store login data, record your IP address, or track your online activities.
- If you share your data (e.g., register), we place a cookie on your browser that identifies you and logs you in each time you visit our site.
- Some cookies essential for services to work (e.g., payments) can’t be blocked.
- Some services may be delivered by 3rd party vendors who may have separate cookie policies.
Law Enforcement Authorities
- Occasionally law enforcement agencies request data from us.
● We only provide data when required by law.
- Our annual transparency report lists each legal data request and the result of the inquiry. See our transparency report.
- If you subscribe to access our content, we’ll collect some personal data from you such as your name, email or address.
- Your data will not be shared with other entities (e.g., advertisers) unless you give us permission.
HOW WE KEEP YOUR DATA SAFE
Minor Exceptions to Data Retention
- • Data about you is encrypted (stored in a way to prevent access by unauthorized users) and is stored in several data centers in different jurisdictions.
- ● We use end-to-end encryption for communication which means all data is encrypted with a digital file (a “key”) that only you and the recipient know.
- ● There is no way for us or anybody else to access this information without direct access to your device.
- ● Data you provide (e.g., name, email, address) will only be stored for as long as necessary to fulfill services, such as account log in or ad delivery.
- ● If you become a member or subscribe, we may hold data about you, with your permission, for a longer period of time to better deliver relevant content, up to 13 months unless you agree to a longer time period.
- ● In some cases, after you unsubscribe from an email newsletter or subscription, we may retain your data for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, or audit purposes.
● We’ll let you know if this is the case.
- ● Information you choose to make public may not be removable, such as comments.
YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR DATA
(1) get a copy of your data
(2) delete or amend
(3) restrict or object
(5) lodge a complaint in a machine-readable format so you can move, copy or store it with another entity your personal data*
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Changes to This Policy
● We will not make changes to this policy without letting you know or make changes that clearly violate our core privacy values.
● If we need to make changes that impact your data or the delivery of our services, we’ll let you know in advance so you can review the changes, adjust your privacy settings or delete your account.
Complaints and Questions
● Got an issue? Let us know and we’ll fix it.
● Email us at email@example.com or call 706-646-2382 or visit upsonbeacon.com
● You can also file a complaint with the United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC), a government agency that broadly oversees fraud and deception in the marketplace.